When you are selling your home you want to ensure your property is as appealing as it can be during viewings. When buyers visit your home, they already know the price of it, so they are using this viewing to see if the property lives up to its value. We’ve come up with these 6 tips to add value to your home.
1. Sort out the external
Most often, when a buyer has a viewing booked for a property they will often make a drive-by before to check out the neighborhood and external of the property. Whilst there isn’t much you can do about the neighborhood, you can ensure your property has ‘roadside appeal’.
You can improve the appeal of your property by doing a few small things such as:
- De-weeding your front and rear garden.
- Making and necessary repairs to broken fences, gates or walls.
- Adding a fresh lick of paint to all external windows.
These are low-cost things you can do to increase the appeal of your property before buyers even see it. It means there is one less thing they are taking into account when considering an offer.
2. Fixing the roof
Structural damages can easily reduce the value of your home and a damaged roof is quite visible to potential buyers. Unlike the foundations or internal electrics, the roof reflects an image of your room. This means that any damage is visible to the potential buyer and may impact the amount they are willing to offer.
Repair any damage before someone comes to view your property, even if it is as small as a few loose tiles. You can also clear out the gutters and drains. This is a cheap way of adding value to your home.
3. Brighten your home
In case you weren’t already aware, natural light is excellent. It creates an illusion of space. Therefore creating light in your property is a low-cost way of increasing the value of your home.
There are a few things you can do to make your home lighter:
- Clean all of your windows to allow unobstructed light into your property
- Install bright energy efficient lights. This is particularly effective when you are selling your home in the winter months as it stays dark for longer.
- Potentially install a skylight or patio doors in order to create the illusion of more space in your home. – This is an expensive but very effective option.
4. Painting & odd jobs
You can significantly increase the value in your home by carrying out odd jobs. Fixing broken door handles or painting over naff walls is a great and inexpensive way to give your home a new feel.
Skimming walls or touching up skirting boards will once again give your buyer one less thing to think about when they are considering an offer. Remember, it’s about decreasing the amount the buyer has to do in order to get the highest offer.
5. Carpets & flooring
When you have lived in a property for x amount of years it isn’t uncommon for the carpets or flooring to deteriorate. However, dirty carpets or marked vinyl flooring can be often overlooked when selling a property; it can become harder to sell your home if the flooring is damaged so it makes sense to either replace it or take steps to improve the quality.
Here are a few things you can do to improve the quality of your flooring:
- Hire a carpet cleaning kit, these are usually quite effective and can be rented for a small fee
- Sand and varnish wooden floors, this will increase the appeal of your property
- Replace worn carpets with new ones if it is absolutely necessary. It could be the deciding factor for your buyers.
If you aren’t willing to do any work on the flooring, you may have to negotiate a lower price with your buyers as compensation for the additional works they will need to do to the property.
6. Security & locks
One important aspect of purchasing a home is whether it is secure. Investing time and resources into the security of your home can increase its appeal and potentially net you a buyer.
You can improve the security of your property by doing the following:
- Adding new or repairing existing door locks, latches and spy holes.
- Ensuring all of the windows and doors open, close and lock correctly.
- Adding new or repairing existing security lights outside the property.
What should I do now?
So now you know what helps increase the value of your home, it’s time to act! If you are currently thinking of selling your home or it is currently on the market take this opportunity before the viewings begin to do those quick odd jobs. You want your home to give the best impression it can for a smooth and easy sale of your home.
If you’re having difficulty selling your home or understanding any of the tips we have discussed today, we’re here to help you. If you would like to know the best way to sell your home, give us a call on 01454 316 718.